Notify your insurance agent as soon as possible. If you are unable to reach your agent or insurance company, most policies require you to have your home secured against vandalism and looting, and allow advanced funds for your family to find lodging. Keep all receipts, in order to be reimbursed by your insurance company. If possible, do not disturb or remove any items before the insurance adjuster arrives.

Some insurance policies provide for additional living expenses until you are able to move back home. You must keep receipts for all expenditures.

If you are a tenant, contact the resident manager, the owner or the owner’s insurance agent. It is the owner’s responsibility to prevent further loss to the site. See that your personal belongings are secure either within the building or by moving them to another location, such as the home of a relative or friend. Contact your own insurance agent to report the loss. The property owner’s insurance, in most cases, will not cover the loss of your personal belongings.

Insurance and Other Assistance:

  • Contact your insurance company as soon as possible
  • If you are renting, contact the property owner or the owner’s insurance company.
  • If you are not insured, contact your lawyer or the IRS for directions.
  • Contact the American Red Cross for disaster relief services.

Prevent Home Fires

Mile High Chapter
444 Sherman Street, Denver, CO, 80203

If Your Property is not Covered by Insurance Emergency assistance, including temporary shelter, food, clothing, eye glasses, and medicine is available through the and Mile High Chapter of The American Red Cross.

Salvation Army can also be helpful.